Rest of South
Facts & Figures
ago, Andhra Pradesh was a major Buddhist centre and part of
Emperor Ashoka's sprawling kingdom. Not surprisingly, traces
of early Buddhist influence are still visible in several
places in and around the state. After the death of Emperor
Ashoka, several dynasties from the Ikshvakus, Pallavas,
Chalukyas, Kakatiyas, Vijayanagaram kings, Qutb Shahis,
Mughals and the Asaf Jahi's, ruled this princely city.
This district was earlier called as Ethlabad. This place was
under the rule of the kakatiya Velma and Qutubshahi and Asaf
Jahin Kings. This district was
the year 1905.
The District is occupied with 50% of Forest area, and Hosts
Three wild life sanctuaries. 1.Pranahita is famous for
Tigers, Jaguars, Deer and different Birds, 2.Shivaram is
famous for Crocodiles, Monkeys, Foxes and Spotted deer,
3.Kawal is famous for Tigers, Jaguars, Deer's and Panthers.
The mineral Wealth found in this district is Coal, Hematite.
The Bamboo's from the forest feeds the Sirpur paper mill at
Sirpur Khaghaz Nagar, which was established in 1938
World Famous Nirmal Paintings and Toys, and Bell Metal Craft
are the handicrafts of this District. The temple of Goddess
Saraswathi, the one and only temple of this deity in South
India, located at Basar is a famous pilgrim place. The water
sources to this district are Kadem Project at Lakkipet,
Vattivagu Project on Vattivagu, Satnalavagu project on
Rallavagu and Chelamalavagu project on Chelamalavagu at
Ekkapally village. Pochampadu Reservoir on river Godavari
caters the water supply to the farm fields.
Deccan Cements, Nagarjuna Cements, Raasi Cements, Kakatiya
Cements, Nizam Sugar factory
Earlier this place was called as Neelagiri which was under
the rule of Sathavahana, Golkonda, Moghal and Nizam Kings.
Forest occupies an area of 44% of the total district area.
The district is placed in Number one position in cement
production in the State. Ingredients used in the cement
manufacturing are surplus in most parts of the district. So
as many major cement factories are holding their stake in
this arena. Deccan Cements at Huzurnagar, Nagarjuna Cements
at Ketupally, Raasi Cements near Miryalaguda, Kakatiya
Cements at Kodada, are the major cement producing houses in
the district as well as in the State.
Nizam Sugar factory situated at Miryalaguda is another major
sugar factory in the state. Pochampally Handlooms have their
special place in the Garments industry is a product of this
district. Nagarjuna Sagar Dam , the biggest earth dam in the
World is the chief irrigation and power source to the state.
The other sources of water to this district are through Left
Nagarjuna Canal, Asifnagar, Saligauravam and Dindi Projects.
Degree Colleges are affiliated to Nagarjuna University of
This district has Historic importance. Once this district is
called as Kandhanaole and later it is named as Kurnool. This
place was under the rule of Telugu Chola, kakathiya and
Vijayanagara Kings, Delhi Sultans and Nizam Nawabs. The king
Polamavema Reddy developed Pilgrimage places for the
convenience of the pilgrims during his period. The river
Krishna at Srikalahasti is called as Pathala Ganga.
Forest area caters quality timber. District hosts one of the
biggest wildlife sanctuary by project name "Operation
Tiger". Iron ore and some amount of copper deposits are
present in these lands. The clays used as the drilling mud
and white clay is also found in these areas. Handloom
Industry is picking up its
this district for the past decade. Groundnut oil mills are
to be seen in many parts of the district. With financial aid
from Netherlands and Switzerland, Silk industry and
Self-employment schemes for women are being taken up swiftly
in the district. Delicious Mangoes of Banginapally are from this district.
Ladies finger is the main Vegetable Crop in this district.
Kurnool - Cuddapah canal abbreviated as KC canal,
Thungabhadra and Krishna Rivers are the water sources to the
district. Srisailam Hydro Power Project on the River Krishna
is a major power project of the state. The power supply to
this district is mainly through Humpi power project on river
Thungabadra and Srisailam Hydro power project. All colleges
in this district are affiliated to Sri Krishna Devaraya
This District was formed in the year 1911. This place was
under the rule of Pallavas Cholas, vijayanagara kings and in
the end by the Britishers. The History reveals the existence
of human dwellings of New Stone age in this place. The
forest area supplements the Teak and rich Red Sandal wood,
which gets exported, earning lots of foreign currency to the
Nation. Apart from this, Honey, Tamarind, and many Ayurvedic
plants are by-products of this forest. The Drinking Water
needs of the district are fulfilled by Galeru-Nagari-Sujala
Sravanthi Project. Electricity is supplied to this district
through Thunga Bhadra Hydro Electric Project. The water
Supply to this district is mainly through
Peddheru Reservoir on peddheru, a tributary of Papaghni,
Bugga dam on Kusastathi, Mallimadugu on Racha canal and
Kalinga project on Kalinga canal. The District hosts Sri
Venkateswara Sanctuary for Protecting Tigers, Hyena's at
Chandragiri and Koundinya Sanctuaries. Nutrine sweats and
confectionaries are from this district. There are some Small
Scale Industries established by the Unemployed youth in this
district. All Degree colleges in this district are
affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University.
Sri Neelakanteswara temple, Sarangapuram Hanuman temple at
Nizamabad and Kentu Masjid. This place was earlier called as
Indrapuri or Indur. This place was under the rule of
Chalukya, Thugluk Dynasty, Golkonda and Nizam Kings. this
district was formed in the year 1905.
Forest area occupies 21% of the district area. Quality
Timber is extracted from these forests, Tamarind and Honey
are the other products obtained from these woods. Bodhan
Sugar Factory , the biggest sugar factory in Andhra Pradesh
is a major industrial establishment of the district.
Confectioneries and Alcohol units are also found in some
parts of the district. The project built on river Manjeera
at Achampeta, Pocharam, and Poochampadu, Ramadugu Projects
are the major irrigation sources. All Degree colleges are
affiliated to the Osmania University - Hyderabad.
This place was under the rule of Satavahana, VishnuKumdin,
Western Chalukya, Rastakuta, Yadhava, Kakathiya, Qutub Shahi
and Nizam kings. History reveals the contacts with Romans.
Forest area occupies 9.96% of the total district area.
Eucalyptus plantations are taken up as the social forestry
scheme in the district. Manjeera Crocodile Sanctuary is
situated with an area of 20 Sq.km is a place to be visited.
There are many Government establishments in the district
Vishaka Asbestos cement factory at Patanchervu, BHEL,
ICRISAT, are the major ones. Medium and Small
industries and ancillary units are there supporting the BHEL.
Singuru Nizam Sager Project build on the river Manjeera ,
provides drinking water to the neighboring district of
Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Medak Church Built in 1914 by
Charles Walker Pasnet is coined as the biggest church in the
South India. It has taken 10 years of uninterrupted
construction time for completion of the structure. All
Educational institutions of degree level are affiliated to
Osmania University of Hyderabad
Kesoram cements at Basantnagar, Ramagundam Fertilizers,
Ramagundam Thermal power station This place was under the
rule of Satavahanas in the begining and the Vishnukumdin,
Vemulavada Chalukyas, Kakatiyas, Qutubshahis and Asaf Jahis.
This place was earlier called as Elgamdala. This district
was formed in the year 1906.
The forest yields Commodities, apart from usual Timber.
Government has taken steps in making social forestry. The
chief mineral found in this district is Coal. The main
source of water to this district is through Boggulavagu
project on Boggulavagu, Echampalli project on river
Godavari. Ramagundam Thermal Power Station is the major
Plant found in this District.